Thursday, July 12, 2007

Thursday Extra

Interesting post at Jonah Lehrer's the Frontal Cortex blog. I'm not trying to get into an evolution spat (even though I support the good science of evolution), rather, Lehrer's comments are interesting when viewed through the Children and Nature lens.
And then I looked at myself, lazing on a couch and complaining about the lack of air-conditioning as I sipped my cold beer. I have absolutely no understanding of the struggle for existence, or just how cruel the selection of the fittest really is. Most Americans live similar lives of luxury. As a result, we don't realize that staying alive (let alone reproducing) is damn hard work. And this leads us to dramatically underestimate the creative powers of natural selection.

So maybe we add to our "barriers" list the fact that many in our population have it so good that understanding even the basic challenges faced by other organisms in nature is beyond them.